Letter to Parents
Thank you for your interest in having your child included in our free one-on-one specialized tutoring program. Our tutoring program is designed to help students who struggle with dyslexia and language-based learning differences to catch up to their grade level in reading, writing and math.
For the 2021/2022 School year we are continuing to offer our program online. Vancouver Urban Ministries will recommence our face-to-face tutoring program when the provincial medical officer deems it safe for schools to re-open their after-school programs.
What is VUM Offering?
- From October 2020, Vancouver Urban Ministries provide free specialized one-on-one tutoring to your child online for up to 2 hours per week.
- Your child will meet with their tutor online.
- Your child’s tutor will be in contact to arrange a regular time to meet with your student online during normal school days. Each tutoring session will last for up to one hour on two different days of the week. The tutoring times would be fixed at the outset so that you and the tutor are able to plan your week.
- We will continue to tutor online until the end of the school year if necessary.
- We will follow the normal school calendar with breaks for school holidays.
What equipment do I need?
You will need the following at home to allow your child to be tutored online.
- Either a laptop computer, a tablet, or a desktop computer which has a camera and microphone.
- Internet connection
- A place for your child to sit at a desk or table
Please let us know if any of this is an issue.
How do I link to my child’s tutor online?
Scroll down this page to see the clear instructions on how to connect with your tutor online. We will provide a trial run to make sure that you know how to connect to your tutor.
We look forward to continuing to support your child as they grow in their education.
Vancouver Urban Ministries
How To Get Ready
If you need help with any of these steps to get yourself ready please give David a call and he'll help you get connected: 778-319-2214
Setup Your Device for access to Google Meet
Laptop or Desktop
If your browser is not compatible, when you go to this link there will be links for you to download and install a compatible browser.
Browsers that work: Chrome, Firefox, Edge
Download and setup the Google Meet App if you have a Google Account. If you don't have a Google Account you can instead use a web browser on your tablet just like on the laptop and computer (see above).
Test your camera and microphone so that the settings work before your child's tutoring session. If you have a Google Account then this should be something you can do on your own by sending a meeting request to a friend who can help you test the settings.
If you don't have a Google account you can request that your tutor sets up a test session with you so you can configure this before your child's tutoring session.
This Page Has All the Info You Need to figure out how to use Google Meet:
Through the Contact form, send us the Email address where you can receive emails containing the links to the Tutoring sessions.
Each tutoring session will have a unique one time use meeting code link. This link will be emailed to you and will need to be clicked on to join the meeting.
How To Connect To Your Tutoring Session
Go to https://meet.google.com/ to Start a Tutoring Session
Enter a Name for the Tutoring Session
Join Your Tutoring Session (you'll be the first one there)
Add Your Student to the Tutoring Session
Enter the Email Provided by the Parent
Send them the Invite to Join the Tutoring Session
Wait for the Student to Join You
Open the Email for this Tutoring Session
(Remember: each session has a unique link/code)
Click on the Link and Ask to Join the Tutoring Session
Go to https://meet.google.com/ to Join the Tutoring Session
Enter the Code
Ask to Join the Tutoring Session