Who We Are
We have a dream that together we can give little children with learning challenges a genuine opportunity to grow intellectually and emotionally, develop healthy outlooks in life, and reach their fullest potential. Our aim is to help break the cycle of poverty for some of the most needy families in East Vancouver.
With your help…
- children with learning difficulties can receive specialized one-on-one tutoring, have a good start in education and grow to reach their full potential.
- children are encouraged to develop self esteem, confidence, and a sense of achievement.
- they and their families would find hope for a brighter future as they experience caring, long-term relationships with their tutors and other VUM volunteers.
Together we are dreaming big dreams!
Our Beliefs and Values
- We believe that each human being is equally important, has intrinsic worth and is uniquely valuable.
- We believe in a firm grounding in education, particularly in the formative years
- Our passion is for the disadvantaged and disengaged and we believe in building long-lasting, and loving relationships
- We carry a deep sense of hope that things can change and be transformed
- We strive to persevere, to remain faithful to our commitments, and keep going for the long haul
- We hope our values permeate everything we do and that they are obvious wherever and whenever you encounter VUM.
Why our mission is important
Vancouver Urban Ministries assists children, youth and families in the East Vancouver communities of Grandview Woodlands and Strathcona. Our community members are mostly of Aboriginal descent or are from immigrant families.
In East Vancouver the poverty rates are:
- Strathcona 58%
- Downtown Eastside 70%
In the Greater Downtown Eastside
- 80% of children are behind the provincial average in reading
- 50% of children are behind in mathematics
- 8% of children live with a parent struggling with alcohol addiction
- 4% cent of children live with a drug-dependent parent
The Greater Downtown Eastside suffers from very high rates of drug and alcohol addiction and mental illness.
Meet the Team
Although my successful career in business has been varied and very satisfying, nothing compares with the blessings I have had in my voluntary work with Vancouver Urban Ministries in my retirement years.
Working with and for underprivileged kids with learning difficulties brings me indescribable joy! I love the opportunity to apply my entrepreneurial spirit and management skills to help vulnerable children in East Vancouver!
Since leaving a banking career, I have found myself drawn to working with the broken and disadvantaged in the community. I am passionate about working to restore hope, build self-esteem and mend broken relationships. The opportunity to work with disadvantaged children so that they can progress in their education and fulfill their potential in life is very exciting to me.
Contact David by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutoring Program Director
I have a great passion for inner-city children having difficulty in school. Having 37 years of teaching experience with children of all ages in British Columbia, Japan and Brazil, I have a vision to see communities working together, so that every child can have the help they need to be successful in school and in society.
I have spent the last 14 years specializing in the needs of students with learning differences such as Dyslexia and ADHD.
Contact Ruth by email: email@example.com
Stan Choi - Board Chair
Retired – Director - Park Georgia Group
Peter Cave - Vice Chair
Senior Mechanical Designer - Pacific Rim Engineered Products
Cora David - Treasurer
Financial Controller - Open Door Services Society
Hart Molthagen - Member
Deborah Harden - Secretary
Registered Nurse - Saint Elizabeth Health Care
Ralf Schmidtke - Member
Retired – Chief Financial Officer – Polygon Home
VUM's supporting partners
VUM is grateful for the amazing support of a great variety of diverse agencies, funders, and supporters that share our passion for helping at-risk children and families in East Vancouver.